[openbeos] Re: Distropia

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:55:03 +0100 CET

Martin Gomez <mgomez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was thinking about the "2 steps" installation process...
> i don' t have that much experience with "Linux Distropia"...
> just fell in love with Debian's packaging system some
> 7 years ago and never tried another distro...
> Anyway, the installation process first boot from the CD,
> then formats a partition, then performs a "tar xzf
> base-X.X.tar.gz /mount/dest" (X.X being the release).
> later, it installs the bootmanager and ask for reboot.

It probably doesn't matter to this discussion, but I'd like to point
out that BeOS is basically copied file by file, folder by folder, from
the BeOS installer CD to the target partition. (There's an actual BFS
track on the CD.) Unlike the massive untarring of packages often found
in Linux installers.

There are probably pros and cons to either method. The BeOS CDs are in
effect LiveCDs, though they were intended primarily for installation or
rescue.

> Once you reboot, you are already running Debian Linux
> from your hard disk, and the first thing the system do upon
> reboot is ask for the package installation method: simple
> or expert. Simple brings a selection of grouped packages
> by task (development, internet, X, and so on) and expert lets
> you choose packages one-by-one (dependencies resolved
> automagically). if you choose "exit" and don't install any
> packages, you're left with a barebones linux system that boots.
> I think that something like that will be the target for the Haiku
> installer .

Having installed Haiku you will have a barebones Haiku system. ;)

If there was a Haiku package manager or "BeBits-as-an-application",
this could be prominently symlinked on your post-install Haiku desktop.
In the meantime, a Bebits bookmark would suffice, IMO.

The BeOS application we know as 'Installer' has its place and purpose.
If there is need for a post-install-something it would likely be
handled by some other application or script.

/Jonas Sundström.                   www.kirilla.com