[openbeos] Re: DiskSetup

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:32:33 +0100 CET

Daniel Furrer <daniel_furrer@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I just had a quick look at the DiskSetup. It seems like it is one of
> the
> few preference apps that are still very much in the first
> stages of development. Anyway, I was wondering how the DiskSetup is
> supposed to get its information about the disks&partitions.
> I didn't find any public API calls that would allow for an easy way
> interact with these things - but there seem to be some classes
> that could help in the (private part? of the) storage kit.
> Could anyone explain a bit how this is supposed to work?

I think there is little point in recreating DriveSetup as is and at
this point:
1) we have a completely different API than BeOS had (Be's was never
made public anyway)
2) our userland disk device API doesn't work yet IIRC (kernel one does,
though)
3) as our API is a lot more mature and powerful than Be's was, the
future DriveSetup has a lot more things it can do, and thus, I would
like to see a new GUI as well
4) IIRC Stephan Assmus volunteered more or less officially and
willingly to do this. Dunno if he's still up to it, though

Bye,
   Axel.