[openbeos] Re: Disk problems with installing second system

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 12:03:14 -0700

On 2003-06-09 at 11:25:58 [-0700], Ingo Weinhold wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:13:22 +0200 CEST "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@pinc-
> > > I don't think this is a problem.
> >
> > I think it is :-P
>
> I tend to be on Axel's side regarding the booting. IIRC, BeOS required
> to be installed on a primary partition. Since installation on a
> logical
> partition should work, I assume, this requirement was due to booting.
>
> Anyone eager to test it? ;-)

Well, perhaps this is true using the BeOS boot manager, but all my BFS
partitions are in logical partitions (booting via Grub), and everything
runs just fine. So, I would think you'd be able to do that with lilo,
but I don't really know.

Honestly, if you can get your hands on a RedHat version >= 7.2
(possibly earlier, too, I don't know when they started including Grub),
and you have ~300 MB space to spare, it's really convenient to have a
dedicated, bare bones command-line (with networking, even :-) linux
install containing a Grub bootloader that exists solely to boot your
other OSes. That way, you're free to do whatever you like with any of
the other OSes you install, and not have to worry about messing up your
bootloader or not having access to its configuration files. And Grub
is, in my experience, much more convenient than lilo.

-Tyler