[openbeos] Re: Developer Edition Vmware Image

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:20:52 +0000

On 06/04/2008, Karl vom Dorff <karl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > Karl vom Dorff wrote:

> /boot/develop/tools/gcc-2.95.3-haiku-080323/bin.  This

> other
> > >

> > > Right, I'll remove that.  Anything else in there? What about
> > > PackageBuilder, Serial Connect?
> >
> > Karl, you could answer this yourself. If you don't have permission from
> > Be/Palm/ACCESS to distribute this, then it is just not legal. The BeOS
> > Personal Edition comes with a clear license that says you can only
> > distribute as is, not changed. Taking parts of it and distributing them
> > would count as "changed" in my book.
>
> > All that being said, ACCESS seems to be pretty liberal and understanding.
> > They gave the BeOS Max guy the green light to do what he does. So maybe
> all
> > you have to do is simply ask them. Explain what you are doing and I am
> sure
> > you have quite a good chance of getting permission.
> >
> > However, just going ahead and doing it because *you* think it is ok, is
> not
> > what you should do, IHMO. Someone (ie at ACCESS) not very involved with
> > Haiku could completely misunderstand this (your package) as comming from
> > the project itself.
>
> Thanks for these comments. Perhaps I'll contact Access and see what they
> say. It's probably pretty difficult to program without BeIDE.

While I've never used an IDE to program, I'd like to say that probably
soon or later
someone should start taking a look into this too and write a
replacement for BeIDE,
since it is closed source. Maybe a bounty about it wouldn't be that bad.

Regards,
--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer Engineer