[openbeos] Re: Developer Edition Vmware Image

  • From: Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 16:24:55 +0200 (CEST)

> Karl vom Dorff wrote:
>> Thanks for these comments. Perhaps I'll contact Access and see what they
>> say. It's probably pretty difficult to program without BeIDE.
>
> Hm. I know there is quite a few people around who like to use such an IDE.
> However, all the apps I have ever written and all code I am writing for
> Haiku is done with Pe and compiled on the command line. I believe the only
> thing I am really missing is the ability to double click errors and have
> the editor jump to the file/line. Maybe some more which I am ignorant
> of...
> anyways, to say "It's probably pretty difficult to program without BeIDE."
> is distorting reality a bit IMHO. :-) In fact, for large scale projects, I
> would guess a build environment such as we use for Haiku itself is much
> more powerful. There is even some effort by Oliver Tappe and others to
> integreate native Jamfile support for "projects" into Pe. I find that
much more appealing.
And IntelliSense/autocompletion would also be nice :)

>That being said, IDEs on other platforms do offer
> additional value, like a GUI constructor and such. This is a different
> story, but I don't really see what *BeIDE* adds over a cool
> makefile/jamfile engine + Pe. Comments welcome, of course!
Is it my turn? :)
I?m using both BeIDE and Pe but more and more I?m using Pe and Jam. For me
BeIDE are simple way of having all the source files in a project with the
libs that I need, you just drip the lib and the source code you like, hit
CONTROL + m to build (or r to run). If it wasn?t for BeIDE I would never
have started to program for BeOS and nor for Haiku. But now I'm starting
to find other ways of doing the same thing.

--
MVH
Fredrik Modéen