[openbeos] Re: Deskbar menu and Menu key

  • From: Czeslaw Czapla <czapla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:28:59 -0700

On 09.16.04 9:05 am, Jérome DUVAL at korli@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> you can configure Ctrl as your shortcut key, is it what you are searching
> for ?

I think that Valentin is suggesting that the *default* setting for the
shortcut key in Haiku be changed from Alt to Ctrl so that a fresh Haiku
install would resemble Windows more closely. For instance, he writes:
"Maybe you could also implement the default alt and ctrl kyes usage coze how
it is in BeOS 5 is not realy nice..is exactly the other way around..."

Speaking as "mere user" who is forced to struggle in Windows all day long at
work, I have to disagree with Valentin. I like the current BeOS default
setting (which can indeed be changed easily in the Menu preflet, as Ingo
mentioned). When I come home from work and start to use BeOS, I know
immediately that I'm in a different (read: responsive) environment, and I
automatically start using the Alt key instead of the Ctrl key. It's as if my
seeing the Deskbar in the corner of the desktop just flips a switch in my
head: I'm now in BeOS, use the Alt key.

It's true that I came to BeOS from the Macintosh, which also uses the "Alt"
key (called the Command key or Apple key in the Mac context), so I do have
some historical muscle memory to rely on... But even absent that history I
would still want BeOS to be *different* from Windows in this regard.

All this is to say: I for one like the current default. And it's only a
default. It can be changed to your liking.

Czeslaw