[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: Jonathon Freeman <j_freeman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 03:06:57 -0500

Stephan Aßmus wrote:
Then after fixing the auto-raise, one could additionally experiment with adjusted default-zooming. I am not so sure about this. The space that windows would stop using is quite big actually. Maybe if Deskbar is along the top or bottom it would make perfect sense not to cover it up, while when Deskbar is in one of the vertical modes, cover it anyway.

I typically put the Deskbar along the bottom edge of the screen as is the default in Windows, and the zooming behavior is the one thing I've absolutely loathed since my first day in BeOS. Auto-raise doesn't help because sometimes the application has important content that gets covered, even if only momentarily. I'm also of the opinion that automatically taking the focus away from an application doesn't seem to fit the Haiku Way.

With widescreen monitors becoming the norm these days, adjusting the zoom even when the Deskbar is on the side isn't as much of an issue. But I agree it's still wasted space. When the Deskbar is at the top or bottom, however, I see no reason not to alter the zooming behavior.

Just my two cents. :)

Regards,

Jonathon