[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:43:37 +0100 CET

"Diego Perez" <eazel7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I'm new. Diego Perez, from Buenos Aires.
> I am interested on getting involved in haiku
> development.

Welcome, Diego!

> > [mailto:haiku-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> > On Behalf Of Jonas Sundström
> > why it gets covered in the first place.
> [Diego Perez]
> Not sure about this... I was discussing this
> at the IRC channel yesterday and today, and
> what I took from the discussion and from my
> personal preference is to include an option
> to set the default zoomed window position
> not to cover the deskbar if the deskbar is at
> full size and in the same monitor.
>
> Someone (sorry, I can't remember who)
> referenced me to:
> //www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Zooming-without-covering-Deskbar

Did I so blatantly plug my own post? :)
(I´m kirilla on #haiku)

There was a discussion and many ideas were pushed
around on how to solve things, especially for multi-
monitor setups. (Legal / illegal rects, zooming to
fit the most optimal legal area, or some such.)

My personal opinion is to have BWindow::Zoom() avoid
Deskbar, for now, if possible - I haven´t tried any
code yet - and push the more generic solutions
on the future.

About making it an option, Haiku tries to avoid
options unless there´s a very good reason to have
options.

> Both things (the click-to-raise and the option
> to not cover when deskbar is at full size) does
> not conflict between them, but perhaps it could
> make you (and many others) feel comfortable with
> the behavior.
>
> What do you think?

If Deskbar was covered less often there´d be less
need for Deskbar auto-raise to be on by default.
I would definitely be happy about that.

/Jonas. (kirilla)