[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:09:24 +0100 CET

"Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is there a need to steal focus when auto-raising the Deskbar? Don't
> > think so.
> That's what I think too. Z-order and focus are two separate things.

Without FFM, they pretty much are the same thing, though.

[...]
> When the mouse leaves the area of the deskbar, a timer starts
> running. When the timer expires (perhaps one second), the Z-order of
> the Deskbar is restored to wherever it was prior to raising.

Yes, that doesn't sound bad (the going away part, I would actually add
a short timeout in both directions).

> To be honest, I don't think the Deskbar should ever receive keyboard
> focus due to mouse activity (unless perhaps the menu is open, in
> which case the cursor keys can be used to navigate it). Other than
> that, I can't imagine the user would need to type anything into the
> Deskbar?

Not necessarily type, but using the keyboard to navigate it is sort of
a necessity. Not that this would work yet IIRC.

> I'm sure other people will have different preferences, but by
> default, I think the defaults should tend towards minimal "automatic"
> behaviour -- the principle of least surprise. I think it's better
> for a user to be slightly irritated by a covered-up Deskbar, find the
> "auto-raise" option and enable it, than it is for a user to be
> startled by the auto-raise happening when they move the mouse into
> that area, and needing to repeat that behaviour a few times before
> they understand why it's happening.

That's a good reasoning.

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I got very used to DeskbAct and the behavior was very consistent
> and wasn't triggered as a surprise.

No surprise since you installed it, anyway (to follow Cyan's argument)
:-)

> Note, the workspace auto-raise isn't as fluent as DeskbAct either.

No surprise there either, since I'm guilty of having messed that up,
too :-)

Bye,
   Axel.