[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:58:18 +0100

Cyan schrieb:
To be honest, I don't think the Deskbar should ever receive keyboard
focus due to mouse activity (unless perhaps the menu is open, in
which case the cursor keys can be used to navigate it). Other than
that, I can't imagine the user would need to type anything into the
Deskbar?

One could try to implement it without giving it focus (needs support in app_server first) and see how that feels. I don't think it would be a problem.

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW, I don´t use FFM. (I imagine a majority of
people out there don´t even know what it is.)
I´m sure you FFM users have more controlled
mouse usage than I have.

I use focus-follows-mouse here (I couldn't live without it), but my
mouse use is highly erratic! However as long as the Deskbar restores
its Z-order when the mouse leaves it, that wouldn't be of any
consequence (the mouse will need to be moved back to the application
to continue working anyway).

I'm sure other people will have different preferences, but by
default, I think the defaults should tend towards minimal "automatic"
behaviour -- the principle of least surprise. I think it's better
for a user to be slightly irritated by a covered-up Deskbar, find the
"auto-raise" option and enable it, than it is for a user to be
startled by the auto-raise happening when they move the mouse into
that area, and needing to repeat that behaviour a few times before
they understand why it's happening.

On BeOS, I used an app called "DeskbAct" (I believe). That one looked at the corner that DeskBar and Workspaces were closest to and raised them to the top after a short timeout. I believe a time out is absolutely needed. No timeout is what Deskbar does right now, and it's annoying IMHO. I got very used to DeskbAct and the behavior was very consistent and wasn't triggered as a surprise.

Note, the workspace auto-raise isn't as fluent as DeskbAct either.

Best regards,
-Stephan