[haiku] Re: Deskbar auto-raise

  • From: "Cyan" <cyanh256@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:46:27 GMT

Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a need to steal focus when auto-raising the Deskbar? Don't
> think so.

That's what I think too. Z-order and focus are two separate things.

Here's how I would expect it to work: If the auto-raise option is
enabled, the Deskbar is raised to the top whenever the mouse comes
in contact with it (no significant delay otherwise it makes raising
frustratingly slow -- limiting its usefulness). Focus is unchanged
(it remains on the previously-focused application).

When the mouse leaves the area of the deskbar, a timer starts
running. When the timer expires (perhaps one second), the Z-order of
the Deskbar is restored to wherever it was prior to raising.

To be honest, I don't think the Deskbar should ever receive keyboard
focus due to mouse activity (unless perhaps the menu is open, in
which case the cursor keys can be used to navigate it). Other than
that, I can't imagine the user would need to type anything into the
Deskbar?

"Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BTW, I don´t use FFM. (I imagine a majority of
> people out there don´t even know what it is.)
> I´m sure you FFM users have more controlled
> mouse usage than I have.

I use focus-follows-mouse here (I couldn't live without it), but my
mouse use is highly erratic! However as long as the Deskbar restores
its Z-order when the mouse leaves it, that wouldn't be of any
consequence (the mouse will need to be moved back to the application
to continue working anyway).

I'm sure other people will have different preferences, but by
default, I think the defaults should tend towards minimal "automatic"
behaviour -- the principle of least surprise. I think it's better
for a user to be slightly irritated by a covered-up Deskbar, find the
"auto-raise" option and enable it, than it is for a user to be
startled by the auto-raise happening when they move the mouse into
that area, and needing to repeat that behaviour a few times before
they understand why it's happening.

Also, it seems to me that the question of legal/illegal rectangle
systems to avoid the Deskbar being overlapped is kind of a separate
issue to auto-raising -- there would still be a benefit to auto-raise
in case the user deliberately dragged a window to overlap the
Deskbar. Plus it would avoid the issue of the Deskbar retaining
keyboard focus when clicked...