[haiku] Re: Defining R1 Features

  • From: Michel Clasquin-Johnson <clasqm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:53:29 +0200

On 12 Oct 2009, at 3:50 PM, Eddy Groen wrote:

I know you may not agree, but I think an updating system and a package
management system is needed for R1. At least some initial basic
version of both, it doesn't have to be the perfect thing we all seem
to want out of the gate. I also don't consider some of the Tracker
refactoring as features but as bugs that should also be resolved
before release.

I agree with that, and I would like to suggest a system like the one
available for Ubuntu.

Ubuntu uses Debian's apt-get system. Technically, adapting it should not be impossible, and once it is up and running on the command-line, people can write graphical front-ends for it. Politically, things are trickier. Apt-get is bound by the GPL. IANAL but it does look like distributing it under Haiku's more liberal license might be problematic.

Michel Clasquin-Johnson
e-mail: clasqm@xxxxxxxxx
website: http://www.reviewcentral.co.za/