[haiku] Csound

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:51:00 -0800

Hi,
I guess it's not usual to announce ports here, but I thought I'd
make an exception...(:-))

Csound runs on Haiku!  (??)  I know, if you're not into making computer
music, you've probably never heard of it, but it's pretty much the Patriarch
of all music synthesis systems.  It has been around for a quarter of a
century, and its roots go back to the early computer music of Max
Mathews in the 60's.  At the same time it has a large user base and
is under steady development.

The first Haiku version of Csound5 is pretty complete, except for GUI
widgets that use kits not currently available in Haiku.  It can either
write audio files in various formats, or play straight to audio.  Music
is usually generated by a "Score", but it will also handle MIDI, either
from a file or live input.  (With my patched HDA driver, I've been playing
live with about 10ms latency.)  It doesn't have audio-in or MIDI-out yet.

The user package is on Haikuware ('Csound5')).  I haven't gone the
haikuporter route (yet) because the Haiku code has already been
merged into the Sourceforge GIT repository.  There are quite a lot
of dependencies for a build though (like libsndfile for all audio file
handling) so it might be worth generating a bep eventually.  I'll
at least wait for the next tarball though.  (All the required libs are
in the released package.)

The Csound folks seem glad to have a Haiku port.  The general tone
of comments I got when I posted to their dev-list was "Oh, good!".
And when I sent the patchfile to John ffitch he merged it straight
into the tree.

Cheers,
        -- Pete --