[openbeos] Re: Cross compiling on Mac OS X

  • From: "Morgan Howe" <mthowe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:02:06 -0400

On 5/9/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2007-05-09 at 02:32:56 [+0200], Brian Jung Myeng Lee <jm3lee@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> First, thank you Morgan. :-)
>
> Here's some update. I managed to compile a cross compiler. However, I
> haven't verified that it works properly. Now I'm in the process of
> figuring out how to build Haiku with a cross compiler. I am hoping
> that this will tell me if the cross compiler is working. I supposed I
> could build GCC test suite as well.

Building the cross-compiler should be easy actually. Haiku's configure
script does that, and, if I understood Morgan correctly, that worked
without changes on MacOS.

IIRC, the only change was adding the darwin target.

> I haven't done this kind of work before. So I can't comment much on
> details until I learn more. I haven't quite figured out how GCC build
> system works and platform dependent source code works. I do plan to
> look around and figure out what they are supposed to do.
>
> Hopefully with some amount of random head-butting and hacking, things
> will work. ;-)

Sounds good.  We can bumble through it together then.  :)  I probably
only have about a 2 week head start, so you should be up to speed
quickly.  :)

Morgan already proposed some changes. I haven't applied them to our
repository, since I guessed it would be smarter to apply a patch that would
include all changes in the end. If it's easier for you to work together, I
can apply the intermediate patches, too, though. If you want me to do that,
it would be nice, if I could get a patch including all changes so far (the
<size_t.h> change wouldn't be necessary anymore).

I will have to look back through and see what changes I had made and
see what needs to be patched.  I believe I had gotten things building
but was having problems with the linking step.

Brian, I don't know if you have done this already or not, but I do
have one *very* important piece of advice.  You cannot build haiku
under a normal directory like you would under linux.  Since MacOS is
case-preserving but NOT case-sensitive, you will run into endless
headaches.  You'll need to use the disk utility to create an image
with a case sensitive file system large enough to do any of the haiku
work you plan to do.

For example - I have a 4.4 GB image with file system type of Mac OS
Extended (Case-sensitive, journaled) which I mount any time I work on
Haiku.

If you are already part way through the build process, you may have
done this, but its worth a reminder.  :)

Morgan