[openbeos] Re: Couple of non-sequiters

  • From: "Scott MacMaster" <zqxh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:07:20 -0400

> Helmar wrote:
> > Don't keep count - don't compare your input to others.
> > U don't do it for personal gain, and you only do it because
> > you want to and because you can. And soon it will be $500,
> > then $1000, $10.000, and soon much more. You'll be amazed
> > what a regular contribution of $5 can do if left untouched.
> > It could be as simple as a PayPal deposit which is then
> > transferred into the trust account, so the setup would be
> > really simple.
>
> A PayPal deposit doesn't grow that much, does it? I mean what about
> interests, or an endowment fund which guarantees some more interests?

I'm not sure how much money OpenBeOS really needs at the moment.  I suspect
that it'll need more money later on for distribution and marketing.  It may
also find having money useful to make deals with companies.  Therefore, I
think it would be best if any money OpenBeOS collects to be put into an
account where the money is actively invested.

While sticking money into an interest accumulating account will generate
money (at best 5%) we can do a lot better if we have someone or a group of
people actively invest the money.  My whole family is into investing.  My
father only spends an hour a day investing and studying the market and
easily makes 9% a year (except this past year of course).  If we spend three
to four hours a day investing and studying the market I'm sure we can get
close to 15% a year.

To whoever ends up investing this money it's very important to diversify
your investments.  People who diversified the investments did not loss money
during the past year (if you don't follow the market, the past year was
very, very bad year for the market).  Diversifying means investing in these
following areas, high cap business, low cap business, bonds, tech stocks,
mid cap business, foreign stocks, and 2 other that I can't remember off the
top of my head.

Morgan Stanley has money managers.  They do very well if you get at least
three.  You can usually get 10% to 15% with them.  They would be a good
option if OpenBeOS doesn't want to bother with actively investing.  Morgan
Stanley only charges 1% to manage these money managers. However, money
managers cost $100,000 each so this may not be an option for OpenBeOS for a
while.

Scott MacMaster
me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ScottMacMaster.com