[openbeos] Re: Couple of non-sequiters

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 19:04:58 -0400

>Rob Tijssen wrote:
>
>> damn .. this should be offlist ... sorry ... my mistake...
>
>No mistake, Rob, because you spelt it out just like it is.
>The community has divergent opinions, and in this thread
>they all came out.

Yes, this community does have divergent opinions. I don't think
that there is *anything* more true than that. ;-)

>Many people get pissed off by it under the stupid guise of
>it being off-topic. But it's probably those very same folks
>who have a rather narrow horizon themselves, and anything
>outside of their opinion and comfort zone gets attacked -
>in fact, it has to be.

WHAT?
No. Not at all.
To be completely honest, I found the capitalism vs ??? a very interesting
thread. ON SOME OTHER MAILING LIST. Not here. Why? Simple.
This list *has a topic*. It is about OBOS. Implementation, direction,
marketing, whatever. The economic theory stuff is interesting to me, personally,
but *does not belong here*. Any more than a demonstration of martial arts
belongs at a fancy dinner party.

Slightly personal aside -
Most of your posts are outside my comfort zone. I (as I am sure that you know)
find myself disagreeing with you. Yet I have never asked you to leave. Or
unsubscribed
you. Why is that? Because I ***VALUE*** different opinions. Often times
listening
to you makes me think about my positions on things. And this goes for many
others
on here, as well, but this post is ironic, since you are probably the most
different person
from me here. ;-) Don't ever change. There is an old expression - iron sharpens
iron.
I think that is certainly true in our (yours and my) case.

>There is IMO __no difference whatsoever__ between a misguided
>economic rant and a message like this:

>       Look ma, ascii graphics!
>
>       heh

I 95% agree with you. The only differences I see is that
a) this wasn't explicitly off topic, just a bemused side note
b) this was a short 2 liner.

But I have to admit that it wasn't necessarily a good usage
of > 500 people's time to read this.

I wonder if people had to sit and beat the send button > 500
times to send messages to this list what the list traffic would be
like...

>Just one of many dozens on this list. That message should
>have been off-list too, so all those sitting in glass houses,
>keep the stones to yourself, breathe deeply, and get a life.
>A mailing list is not your personal playground, nor do all
>people agree with your opinions. If you don't like it,
>ignore it. If it becomes too much for you, unsubscribe. But

The problem here is twofold:
1) Many of the devs either have or have written to me and told
me that if something isn't done, that they will. Because the
signal:noise is way too low. Not because there are different
opinions. But because the list is really a waste of their time.

2) I feel much the same way, but I also feel something of an
obligation to stay on the list.

I don't think that this list would have much purpose to exist, if
all of the devs and I left. It would be so much like BeUserTalk or
comp.sys.be.* that there would be no difference. Does anyone here
remember the old days of BeDevTalk? When people would put
suggestions for Be in "[Hey Be!] Implement Foo" subject lines?
How useful would that have been if *no one* from Be read it?

>the latter option by definition also prevents you from
>expanding your horizon, and looking at this list, there are
>a lot of folks who'd do well with a bit of "horizon
>expanding" treatment.

Everyone here is going to have that opinion, I think, regarding
either the capitalists or the anti-capitalists. ;-)

>/me is just relaxed and takes openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>messages as they were before. No need to get upset or
>irritated. And if it really gets too bad, one message will
>stop it all.

I presume that you mean an unsubscribe message.