[openbeos] Re: Could not open application 'x' with application 'x' (not an e

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:52:02 -0500

I suppose sync is missing from the restart script?

From: "Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Could not open application 'x' with application 'x' (not an e
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:32:18 -0500

I have duplicated the error on Qemu...

But, have found 'sync' will alleviate that error when restarting.

From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:36:22 +0100 (MET)

"Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hmm apparently, it's not okay...
>
> well I tried copying two applications from a befs partition. They
> both
> executed fine. After a shutdown they also function fine, but after a
> restart, they give the error of not being executable. cmp reveals
> they
> differ at char 1 level 1, forget what it said exactly.

There is no difference between shutting down and restarting until the
end from the kernel perspective; it does the very same stuff until it
gets there. I will see if I can reproduce this odd behaviour under Qemu
- maybe it's a VMware problem.
Also, does "sync" executed from a Terminal before rebooting change
anything?

> also, i always have to re-make a directory /mnt to mount the
> partition in.
> it always disappears after a restart or shutdown.

That's the same as in BeOS; if you create directories in the root, they
will only be temporary.
Maybe you want to use the "mountvolume" command instead, which does the
job automatically.

> two other things, the sea monkey application suite doesn't start up
> anymore
> fully (gets stuck on the splashscreen), and I no longer seem to have
> working network within Vmware!

Tested with what revision? I'm currently working on the net_server/TCP/
etc. :-)
The net_server is now started automatically; the Netscript is no longer
executed.

Bye,
   Axel.

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY. http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006