[openbeos] Re: Cosmoe is back

  • From: "Matt white" <mattwhi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:32:22 -0500

Thats a mouth full but Micheal is right. we aren't the snotty elitist
community that some Linux distros have. Anything that can improve Haiku in
the long run is a good thing .

On 2/7/07, Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have to admit - I kind of wondered, for a moment, why Cosmoe if you have
a fully functional Haiku (which we don't, yet, but we will). Then it hit
me
(and I wondered why I missed it).

Servers.

BeOS was never really meant to be a server OS. Nor, really, is our kernel
meant for the types of things that servers do. Could it be? Sure. But we
have a lot more desktop focus than, say, Linux.

Given that I work on Linux all day long and worked on Solaris for 5 years
prior, I think that one would be hard pressed to say that I don't like
Unix. But, in fairness, it is WAY too hard to use. Way too hard. Even with
all of the stuff out there that supposedly makes it easier. In fact, to
some degree, I think that ease of use HAS to be all or nothing. Otherwise
it is sort of a tease. Example - I use a Fedora Core 4 box at work. Before
you ask, I will upgrade to 7 when my current project is done. :-D
Sometimes
I try to "yum" update something and it fails. Why isn't relevant. I have
find the RPM and force install it. That is not a desktop ready OS. If I
didn't know RPM or the commandline, I would be lost.

Wouldn't it be nice to have servers with BeOS/Haiku usability? Precompiled
binary everything, like BeBits? Never have to wonder which library or
other
precondition you need to install a package? A UI that is fast, responsive
and small? Maybe even a server that can use the same binaries that your
desktop uses? Where you could build and test applications on your desktop,
prove them out and then drop the binary on the stable production server
and
KNOW that it will work? A lot of our current APIs won't be really useful
on
a server; most servers don't need the Game Kit, the Media kit, etc. But a
server with a decent UI is nice. Esp if Bill puts some work/effort into
apps to admin other apps (apache, for example). Furthermore, there are a
lot of APIs that *I* would like to see implemented for the desktop Haiku
that would be of value to a server. Just a random example - a Database
kit.
Or an XML kit.

Please, everyone, let's be nice. I think that we should be nice for the
sake of the community, but, if nothing else, Bill has been a big help in
making our code build for GCC 3 and he deserves a ton of respect for his
coding and development skills.

Michael

--
Matthew White, Head of computers for the less fortunate.