[openbeos] Re: Correct way to start a Haiku partition from BeOS

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:41:53 +0200

Hi there

> My point was that Axel's remark about the recent changes to BFS
> implies
> that we should be using a partition initialised/formatted with the
> latest Haiku version of BFS, not the old BeOS BFS you and I both seem
> to be using.

The remarks were directed at people that used a BFS partition under
Haiku that might have gotton corrupt due to bugs in the Haiku BFS
filesystem code before these fixes. Using a BFS initialized from BeOS
is fine and if it doesn't work then that's a bug in our BFS that needs
to be reported and fixed. The point is, that your BFS partition could
have become corrupt while using it in Haiku. If it is corrupt, then you
should re-initialize it to overcome that corruption of the filesystem -
through which BFS add-on you do that (BeOS or Haiku) doesn't matter.
Note that just deleting all files from a filesystem does not
necessarily fix corruption, as when the filesystem structure itself is
corrupt deleting files doesn't really buy you anything.

> I'd be happy to nuke my home partition and start afresh if there are
> some advantages to that.

If it is indeed a corrupted partition re-initializing it would solve
that. Again, it doesn't really matter from where you do that.

> So my question was, how do I do that from within BeOS? But having
> thought about it a bit more, I figure it could be possible to launch
> the image in QEMU and install from there, choosing to reinitilialise
> at
> the start. I'll give that a try.

Both should work. Alternatively you could probably get the build system
to do it for you. I would however suggest the easiest way, just using
DriveSetup from BeOS within.

Regards
Michael