[openbeos] Re: Correct way to start a Haiku partition from BeOS

  • From: "Nigel Malthus" <malthi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:31:00 +1200 NZST

> Nigel Malthus wrote:
> > Clarification, please.
> > Like scott mc, I'm running Haiku on a partition initialised from
> > BeOS
> > R5.
> > I check progress by downloading a pre-built image every couple of
> > months, and over-writing the contents of my Haiku partition
> >  - all but the home folder. So I haven't re-initialised it in ages,
> > and
> > it would have been initialised using the original BeOS R5 tools.
> >
> I download a pre-built Haiku image every few weeks;  however, I
> always
> reinitialize the Haiku partition using BeOS 5 before mounting the
> Haiku
> image and copying the files to the Haiku partition.  I copy ALL the
> files from the Haiku image, including the home folder, to the Haiku
> partition.  When the copy operation asks if the home folder on the
> Haiku
> partition created by the initialize operation should be overwritten,
> select to overwrite the home folder.  So far I have not had any
> problems, but then I use the Haiku partition mainly for testing the
> video drivers that I'm working on.
>
> Best regards,
> Gerald

My point was that Axel's remark about the recent changes to BFS implies
that we should be using a partition initialised/formatted with the
latest Haiku version of BFS, not the old BeOS BFS you and I both seem
to be using.

I'd be happy to nuke my home partition and start afresh if there are
some advantages to that.

So my question was, how do I do that from within BeOS? But having
thought about it a bit more, I figure it could be possible to launch
the image in QEMU and install from there, choosing to reinitilialise at
the start. I'll give that a try.

Many thanks.

--
Nigel Malthus,