[openbeos] Re: Correct way to start a Haiku partition from BeOS

  • From: "Nigel Malthus" <malthi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 13:59:19 +1200 NZST

> "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For months I've been creating my Haiku partitions from a BeOS
> > partition, initializing with and then using imagemounter to open a
> > haiku-image and then copying the files from the image to my haiku
> > partition.  This has worked for the most part, but I'm wondering if
> > this is causing unseen issues, such as was seen in tickets #2024 /
> > #2031.  Should I instead be using dd to make sure that my Haiku
> > partition is using the correct filesystem and such?  I suspect that
> > initializing from BeOS in putting the BeOS filesystem onto the
> > partition rather than Haiku's.  Any opinions on the proper way to
> > create a Haiku partition from BeOS?
>
> If you reinitialize the disk before (at least after the recent number
> of BFS fixes this is definitely a must), there is nothing wrong with
> the method you're describing.
>
> Bye,
>    Axel.

Clarification, please.
Like scott mc, I'm running Haiku on a partition initialised from BeOS
R5.
I check progress by downloading a pre-built image every couple of
months, and over-writing the contents of my Haiku partition
 - all but the home folder. So I haven't re-initialised it in ages, and
it would have been initialised using the original BeOS R5 tools.

Are you suggesting it should be initialised using Haiku tools
incorporating "the recent number of BFS fixes"?

If so, how? Do I compile the tools using R5 as the target then run them
under R5? Which tools exactly?

Many thanks in advance,

--
Nigel Malthus,