[openbeos] Re: Contribution to preferences or

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:45:25 -0400

[snip]

>1) Communication problem with the management. We hear everything in "beos
>news-sites" but nothing on the "OpenBeos-site"
>Solution: A good and UP-TO-DATE news forum with easy acces. What I mean is not
>a newsletter( the ones

I just looked at BeOSJournal.org, what I consider to be the most frequently
updated BeOS site out there.
The only item on their page right now that we didn't post is about the
midi_server.
Honestly, it is sort of a work in progress, ATM, that I wouldn't have
considered all that newsworthy. It is great work that the team is doing, but it
isn't a news item, IMHO. The only other thing that I can think of that you
might be refering to is that a lot of the news sites post something everytime
DarkWyrm updates his web site/blog. I don't begrudge them that, but I don't
think that it is all that big of a deal. If some event comes up that is that
important, DW posts on our front page. All of the team leads, plus a few others
can post on the news section. I think that we all wish that there was more
news. But milestones are miles in between. :-)

that exists are very good for those who are developing). I mean, if someone
leave a team or gets into it, this should be posted in a central place. And not
somewhere in a 'dark corner' of the site. A potential developer should have the
possibility to send a mail to the "right" responsable team-manager. There
should not be old email addresses.

I just went through all of the teams. I don't see any old email addresses with
the exception of Rich Kosiba. I will get that removed ASAP.

>2) There is no easy way to contribute to the project.
>Solution: A webpage where you are able to fill in your interests and in which
>team you want to work. When you "submit", a mail should be sent to the
>responsable team-leader

I know that I talked about this a few minutes ago, so this is somewhat an old
issue, but I can not emphasize enough how much misery this approach caused.
Literally 100 people or more signed up but never found time. We do need to make
it clearer, I guess, how to contribute. I will try to do so on the website.

>I just want to help, because I think this is important. I'm just 23 years old,
>but one thing I know for sure. If there is a lack of communication, you will
>have troubles sooner or later... and that is not what we need. With better
>communication you will see that a project will develop faster and better.

I 100% agree. But that also has to go both ways - you can't dash off one email,
wait a short period of time, then give up. Look at the other OSS projects
around. If you do that in Linux or BSD, you won't necessarily get anywhere.
There are just *WAY* too many people who will dash off a "I want to help" and
then disappear. Not saying that their reasons or intentions aren't good. But it
would literally take a staff of 4 or 5 people working full time to handle this
way of management. I know - I burned myself out badly trying. :-/