[haiku] Re: Connecting the Community with BeShare

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 13:52:54 -0700

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 08:37:23PM +0200, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> 2012.03.11 20:28, Siarzhuk Zharski rašė:
> >Am 11.03.2012 17:50, schrieb Rimas Kudelis:
> >>Looking at BeShare, I think that perhaps what you are looking for is
> >>an app which focuses on groupchat?
> >
> >BTW, BeShare is focusing on sharing. ;-) Beshare was a part of the
> >BeOS Culture and as many other things in Old Good Times it is
> >impossible to explain why we have loved it. :-P
>
> The times have shifted though, and I think it should be quite easily
> possible not to love it anymore. ;)

A few points from my POV that may have been missed...

As far as I can see, and as Siarzhuk mentions, the focus of BeShare
is different from the various chat clients.  What I saw BeShare mainly
used for was making files available to others.  It was(/is) a distributed
resource mechanism in which folks could make stuff they wanted to
share available in a folder on their machine, and as long as they were
connected to a BeShare server others could browse -- and search --
to find what they were looking for.  It was vital on a few occasions for
locating stuff that had vanished off BeBits.

And though BeShare itself has been a bit neglected, the underlying
"Muscle" protocol is anything but dead!  It is supported by audio
heavyweight MeyerSound, and is being actively developed.  The
author's most recent post on the website is about a month ago
( https://public.msli.com/lcs/muscle/ ).

For those not familiar with it, Muscle explicitly uses a BMessage-like
scheme to transmit over TCP/IP.  Jeremy Friesner originally developed
it under BeOS, but it was always cross-platform.  It seems to be a very
flexible protocol that definitely should be on Haiku.

Looking at the osdrawer page, it sounds from Fredrik's notes that
there are some problems getting it all to work in Haiku, but as
Muscle is explicitly cross-platform I'd assume they won't be too
fatal.  Maybe Fredrik can chip in here to explain more.

> >So I vote for packaging BeShare too. ;-)
>
> I can't stop anyone from doing that. I'm just saying that from my PoV,
> packaging and supporting it would be a little waste of resources, and
> Haiku doesn't have too many of them. Why not spend those 10 minutes to
> improve Caya instead? :P

I'd vote strongly in favour of having both available, as they are both live
protocols.  Meyer's interest is obviously specific to their audio control
systems, but Friesner has been careful to keep Muscle very general.
I think having an active 'HaikuShare' community would be a great thing!

        -- Pete --