[openbeos] Re: Compilers

  • From: Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:18:17 +0200

Am 07.10.2003 00:02:46, schrieb Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>On 2003-10-05 at 23:32:17 [+0200], Andrew Bachmann wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 17:20:04 +0200 Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Apropos compilers, does anyone know whether the GCC sources are included
>> > in
>> > the Zeta distribution as required by the GPL? If so, could someone please
>> > publish them somewhere.
>> >

>> I asked Bernd personally on this issue and he told me that they have no
>> intention
>> to release the patches required to build gcc sources for at least "several
>> months"
>> after their release date, whenever that may be. (may be happened but I have
>> not
>> heard of any received copies yet either)  I could say something about YT
>> and the
>> definition of the word "month", but I will refrain. :-)
>
>Well, the GPL doesn't say anything about when the sources have to be made
>available, but I'd bet the intention is `immediately'.
>Anyway, Bernd will certainly attend BeGeistert, so, there'll probably be time
>to discuss the matter next week.

Bernd is unlikely to attend BeGeistert this time but then, as we all know, the
GPL isn't really worth the paper it's written on (which itself
is rarely the case); at least not in Europe. Maybe the SCO lawsuits will bring
clarification into the whole domain of software licences.

No, this is not an invitation to flame me on the list - comments regarding the
GPL please to me directly.

Charlie

Chief Chaos Coordinator
BeGeistert.org