[openbeos] Communication and you

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:07:10 -0400

Wow. I get sick for a couple of days and this place explodes...

Where do I begin?

How about with some history, for those who weren't here.
When we started OpenBeOS, my plan was that we would have 15 or so teams, each with a strong leader. Those teams would develop in isolation, mostly, building R5 replacements that could just plug and play. So, logically, there was an admin list for the team leads and a list for each team.

For a number of reasons, this both worked and didn't work as well as I might have hoped. I built infrastructure to support a team of around 100. We have a team of closer to 10. As a result of that, some of the infrastructure has gone to waste (like, say, the kernel team mailing list). Other parts have been somewhat re-purposed. Like the admin list. The admin list has hosted discussions that might have made more sense in the "low bandwidth developers" mailing list that we DON'T have because we were going to have 15 different ones. There is a lot more cross- pollination (which is a good thing), but sometimes some people get left out of things that would be helpful. That is bad.

Over time, we have grown methods of discussion for various reasons. The forums came about with the new website. The wiki later. Now, as has been correctly realized (and I have been beating this horse for a long time), we have WAY too many ways to communicate. Part of the plan was for the new website to fix this.

The new website has been a long time in coming. We have looked at, tried and/or tested out, I think, every CMS out there. They all suck. Really. I think that they were all written by the Windows ME kernel team with help from the FreeBSD installer UI team. :-) Drupal was the best of a bad set of choices. Now that we have made the choice, we are going forward as quickly as we can.

To me, the best of both worlds would be a forum/mailing list hybrid, sort of like gmane but better, wherein you could login and post and read, but optionally tie that to a mailing list so you could work from email if you would prefer that. I haven't seen anything that will do that today. Mailman is 1/2 way there. Most of the forums are 1/2 way there.

We don't need an official site and a wiki and forums and mailing lists. The question is, what do you cut? I tend toward cutting the wiki and the forums. Self host the mailing lists and post the archives. Maybe "someday" we can build in a secure posting gateway.

I would also like to self-host all of our mailing lists. Our hosting solution makes this easy, we just have to decide to do it as part of the new site. This is not a criticism of any of our hosting for our mailing lists, but I think that it would be more professional looking, to say the least. Especially since we have changed our name... :-)

As far as the contests - they both come from need. We honestly DON'T have a Creative Design Team in any reality. For the most part, when we had one, the results were not very impressive. One "real" designer did a lot better work than most of the community submissions. That is part of the reason that I have not been overly optimistic about a Marketing/ Communications team. Everyone can download GIMP and make sort of cool looking stuff. Even me. :-) Likewise, there are many voices as to what Marcom should look like, even within the Marcom community. Since I have the benefit of a communications professional who is volunteering (/me looks at Koki), I will certainly take advantage of that situation. :-D

Honestly, we are open. Really open. Way open. Crazy open. More open than any significant OSS project out there, unless I have missed someone somewhere. Sometimes that seems like a mistake, since we do have issues like this where incomplete ideas or concepts get out into the "wild" and confuse people. But I also think that is a good thing. I hear a lot of "there is no news". There is, if you look for it. But we also don't want to talk above what is real. I prefer the Apple approach (announce what you have working) to the Microsoft (announce what you think you might possibly finish someday) approach.

We need to focus on developers right now. We need more of them, both for apps and for OS development. What we don't really need is a big flood of people who want to play with the next Linux distro. If marcom can help us get the right people, I am more than interested. If not, then this is not the right time for it.

OK - this is getting seriously long. This set of threads has pointed out, vehemently (and violently?) what we have known for a while - that we need to redo our public facing materials. It has been in progress since January, believe it or not. Can we summarize this with this - message received. Give us a month or so and if you don't see improvement, scream out?

Michael