[openbeos] Collecting and Assisting Ports of Haiku.

  • From: Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:02:47 +1000 (EST)

Notice the astounding progress of Bill Hayden's Haiku port to Linux (Cosmoe)
and BNickName's Haiku port to Win32 (?).

These ports allow development of modules to progress without a working kernel.

As well, several underlying implementations discourage tight coupling to the
current kernel and settings. Meaning less work if we wish to alter the kernel,
or the default file system layout (e.g. access /user/baron/ as /home)

And, this would allow the release of products like Cygwin to allow you to run
an Haiku program if you have to boot into Windows. E.G. Allowing BeMail to be
used as your mail client in any OS so your mail is kept in the one spot.

There are several other ports in progress and ports that will come. Such as
pieces of Haiku to Zeta. Ports to cross platform interfaces might also be
useful. Such as Apache Portable Runtime [APR] and SDL (Cosmoe).

Almost all of these ports begin by implementing a Kernel Kit and then the
Application Kit and Interface Kit.

In theory most of the kits should not need changes, only the Kernel layer and
Accelerants etc should need to be reimplemented.

So, the question arises how do we assist these porters and use their work to
assist us.

http://au.movies.yahoo.com