[openbeos] Re: Coding Guidelines, translations

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 11:45:16 +0100

Hi Daniel & others,

>Is that how we are going to handle translations -- thru a function
call
>each time literal text is displayed=3F That would work, of course, but I
>think it would be better if we put all the display strings into
>resources. Then we would be able to compile different distros with
>different language resources: a Spanish distro, a French distro, a
>German distro, etc. Each of these would be identical except for the
>string resources included. Does anyone else agree=3F

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't put them in resources, I'm just
thinking that this project will =5Fnever=5F be finished (always cool neat
things to add to your favorite part of the OS) and so we should also
make it easy for the devs to use translation services.

Take a look at gettext from GNU, that's using a simular way to what I
suggest, whilst (optionally) having the strings in a seperate
translated file. However, by keeping one copy of (preferrably US-
English) strings in the executable, the program can even function
without any of the translated files available :)

Regards,

Ithamar.