[openbeos] Re: Clipboard format standards for video and audio

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:17:16 +0200

Hi,

> I am currently working on a section of the human interface guidelines
> concerning how to use the system clipboard and some standardized ways
> of passing data from one application to another. While there are
> established standards for image and text data, there isn't anything
> that I know of for audio and video. How should audio and video be
> stored? Then again, *should* it be possible to pass video via the
> clipboard? Thoughts?

some time ago I implemented negotiated drag&drop in WonderBrush. The
protocol allows for passing the actual data through a file instead of
inside the message. I know the clipboard is something else... because there
is no concept of negotiation. But maybe we should try to pick up as much
from the drag&drop negotiation as possible. Also as a developer, you don't
have to learn two different things if these two work as similar as possible.

On the other hand, I don't know if it is such a useful idea to pass video
or audio data from one app to another. It *sounds* cool, but I'm hard
pressed to imagine a situation in which this is useful. It is much more
useful to "pipe" media content from one app to the other, like how the
media kit *already* works if more apps would be implemented in a much more
flexible way.

Best regards,
-Stephan