[openbeos] Choosing The Browser

  • From: "David Enderson" <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:44:33 -0600

>=20
> To be a little pragmatic, let's contact these developers and=20
> tell them=20
> what we think. But first, of course, we need to know what we think.

This post and other posts seem to have completely missed my point about =
contacting the browser developers, assembling them into a team, and =
letting THEM choose the browser they are going to work on.  Now maybe we =
don't want that.  Maybe we want to mandate the project and then try to =
convince them to work on it, but come on, folks.  That's not going to =
work.  We all do this development as a hobby.  You are only motivated to =
work on something that YOU think is cool and fun.  The reason you are on =
the net_server or Kernel team is because that is what you were most =
interested in or thought was the funnest.  (Yes, I'm sure there are the =
dedicated few who might be best at kernel stuff so they agreed to be on =
the kernel team since noone else could do it, even though in their heart =
they would REALLY love to be doing OpenGL stuff.  To those people, I =
thank you deeply.)

My point is: we can't decide the Browser project, and then expect all =
the browser developers who were not even a part of this project to =
abandon their favorite project to do what we tell them to do.  I believe =
the only way they will be willing to abandon their own pet projects and =
focus on, finish, and *polish* ONE browser is for THEM to be the ones to =
decide which browser they will work on.

Of course I have my personal preference as to which browser *I* would =
like to see worked on, but that's not relevant because I'm not =
volunteering my time to do the work.  :-)
Anyway, that's my humble thought.  You don't have to agree with me.  :-)

--David