[haiku] Re: Can't run PM Haiku

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 21:18:55 +0200

On 17.06.2014 05:27, Pete Goodeve wrote:
Umm, as I thought I said (:-)), I did that already!  I grabbed
makebootable.zip from the green panel (as I checked it was...) on the
website, unpacked it, moved it over to the PM partition (so I could be
sure I was modifying the correct MBR!) and did "./makebootable ." from
there.

It looks like the version for download is too old (2013-05-26). It predates the latest stage 1 boot loader change [1] (2013-10-09) and thus cannot load current Haiku versions. I've replace the version with a current one. I hope that one runs on an older Haiku. If it doesn't, you can take an old makebootable and replace its 666 "BootCode" resource with that of the new one.

Gotta confess I'm having a hard time figuring out how PM works.  Is the
kernel unpacked by the basic loader in the MBR?

Usually (i.e. unless you format the whole disk with BFS, without partitions) the MBR has nothing to do with it. The (chain-loaded) boot block in the BFS partition (aka stage 1 loader) loads the stage 2 boot loader from its package (haiku_loader*.hpkg), which in turn loads kernel and boot modules from the system package (haiku*.hpkg).

CU, Ingo

[1] http://cgit.haiku-os.org/haiku/commit/?id=28fcae227cced855710c04617d26e8c84ab44c81