[haiku] Re: Can't run PM Haiku

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 20:27:25 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 09:45:25PM -0400, Matt Madia wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2014 9:14 PM, "Pete Goodeve" <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 08:15:06PM -0400, Matt Madia wrote:

> install
> (47380)
> > >
> > > Just to make sure, did you use the Installer from the new PM version or
> > > from an existing pre-PM installation?
> >
> > I used a pre-PM one.
>
> That's the cause of your issue :)
>
> > Does that mean I have to go out and buy a spare USB stick to install it
> > on?  I was really hoping to avoid that... (:-/)
>
> Nope.  Just download the makebootable archive on the page, run it in your
> pre-PM and point it to your new PM installation.

Umm, as I thought I said (:-)), I did that already!  I grabbed
makebootable.zip from the green panel (as I checked it was...) on the
website, unpacked it, moved it over to the PM partition (so I could be
sure I was modifying the correct MBR!) and did "./makebootable ." from
there.

Gotta confess I'm having a hard time figuring out how PM works.  Is the
kernel unpacked by the basic loader in the MBR?  23KB of makebootable
doesn't seem enough to do much.  There's nothing visible in the
installed image except a lot of packages -- including a "loader"
package.  Don't get it... (:-/)

(In case it's important, I used the 'raw image' version of the package,
becuase that's the easiest to mount in Haiku and install from.)

        -- Pete --