[haiku] Re: Can anyone explain this one?

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 22:49:35 -0400

On 7/10/11, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thenk...yo! (:-)  Yep -- I merged those settings into my etc/profile,
> and the error goes away.
>
> I'm now getting "bash: locale: command not found" when I start a Terminal
> though.  Not sure what's missing -- I don't see such a command on the
> alpha-3 image either.

This new locale command is what is used to set up the various locale
environment variables based on the user's locale settings. It was
supposed to be part of r42394 which I linked to before but I forgot to
svn add it, so I added it in the next commit, r42395. I'm on a GCC4
only system otherwise I'd provide a link to a compiled version of this
command, but if you get the latest Haiku code, then do jam -q locale
and then copy the resulting binary somewhere on your path, the error
will go away.

> A couple of other points in passing:
>
> I notice that the comment at the head of the file says (and always has):
> "# Place user customizations in /.profile"
>
> That should be "~/.profile", shouldn't it?

Hmmm, probably.

> Also, the "# enable programmable completion" section at the end of
> previous versions is missing from yours. Any reason?

That was changed by Brecht in https://dev.haiku-os.org/changeset/42257
as part of updating our Bash completion code. Though that was later
removed from the image so maybe this part of the profile file can also
be removed or changed back.

Though the idea of sourcing separate profile.d files isn't bad. Maybe
even my locale changes could be done that way, with some checks for
the locale command before calling it and setting English as the
default locale, etc.

--
Regards,
Ryan