[openbeos] Re: CLI apps (was scheduler/reminder)

  • From: Johan Fänge <mllist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:56:29 +0200 (CEST)

>> I think where we have our disconnect is that we are looking at
>> different problems from different viewpoints.  After reading your
>> perspective of the user, and I from a developer's viewpoint, no?
>
>     No, not quite... you understood correctly; dev POV.
>     Let me say again my opinion:
>         One should not use(background) CLI apps to achieve functionality
> for
> a GUI app! He should make its own modules or use the ones available on
> Internet.

Well, a cli app is a kind of module - albeit with some calling overhead -
isn't it? I think we should aim at making cli one interface of several.
Some gui apps could just as well have a cli interface.

Also, what about standardizing cli arguments, and provide an easy-to-use
parser? (Like you enter a double this way, this is how you escape and use
quotes to enter an arbitrary string, etc..)

/Vaste