[openbeos] Re: C++ mandatory for Haiku?

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:20:48 +0200 CEST

> > Perhaps not actually include the runtime, but at the very least
> > annotating parts of the code base to make it easier to generate
> > bindings for those language. Then, a tool could be run on that to
> > generate the bindings.  Although I'd be happier if that were to be
> > integrated to the system directly -- possibly as a separate
> > download.
> > But definitely maintained by Haiku. (*volounteering*)
>
> at least I don't see it :-)
> In any way, there shouldn't be any dependencies to other languages -
> the build process shouldn't need more than it currently needs. Of
> course, this has no influence on possible annotations of the sources
> make automatic creation of bindings possible.

Good. It would hopefully be very small changes to the source code, in
the form of doxygen-style comments.

> However, I would like to see how these bindings look like, how big
> they
> are, and where they have to be placed, and finally, if they provide
> more info than the headers already contain - because if they don't, I
> would rather see a more advanced binding generation tool that does
> not
> need such annotations.

Sure. I'll let you know as soon as I have something.  Unfortunately,
automatic generation is not very easy; at least not from any of the
publicly available tools:

        http://bits.jansson.be/extender/wiki/WrappingTools

Regards,
-- Mikael