[openbeos] Re: C++ mandatory for Haiku?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:37:36 +0200 CEST

Hi Mikael,

could it be that there is no connection between:

> > > Is the C-family of languages mandatory for the built-in
> > > applications?

and:
> Perhaps not actually include the runtime, but at the very least
> annotating parts of the code base to make it easier to generate
> bindings for those language. Then, a tool could be run on that to
> generate the bindings.  Although I'd be happier if that were to be
> integrated to the system directly -- possibly as a separate download.
> But definitely maintained by Haiku. (*volounteering*)

at least I don't see it :-)
In any way, there shouldn't be any dependencies to other languages -
the build process shouldn't need more than it currently needs. Of
course, this has no influence on possible annotations of the sources to
make automatic creation of bindings possible.
However, I would like to see how these bindings look like, how big they
are, and where they have to be placed, and finally, if they provide
more info than the headers already contain - because if they don't, I
would rather see a more advanced binding generation tool that does not
need such annotations.

Bye,
   Axel.