[openbeos] Re: Busticated posix/string.h?

  • From: Scott Mansfield <ThePhantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:11:37 -0800

On Thursday 31 October 2002 06:09 am, you wrote:
> Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>[-=Snip=-]
>
> Well, I have changed it to const (because it just feel better) - but I
> am aware that POSIX dictates a char * (it would be binary compatible,
> though).

Binary compatible, yes.  Also a not-so-pleasant surprise when one gets an
"illegal use of const char*" or somesuch message when one is not expecting it
during compilation; which is what happened to me.  In the interim I've
typecasted out the const with an explanatory comment in the NetEndpoint.cpp
source file, but this is really just a band-aid so as to not break the build
until the source of the problem can be dealt with.

> We probably should stick to the POSIX standard, though, even if it
> doesn't make much sense...

"Standard" and "sensible" tend to be mutually exclusive.  The old adage about
"1,000 monkeys at a typewriter ..." is also laterally applicable to engineers
and standards drafts.  :-)

Cheers,
Scott