[openbeos] Re: Building Haiku on Solaris...

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 21:08:05 -0500

Solaris defaults to Korn shell. You need BASH. The configure script is written to be bash specific. :-D

Andrew McCall wrote:
Hi,

The thread about building Haiku on Linux got me thinking about
cross-compiling Haiku on a Solaris 9 box I have in my garage :)

Following a clean installation of Solaris 9, I installed
blastwave.org's pkg-get and installed gcc4 and subversion, and added
their directories to my path.

I then created a folder in my home directory called haiku and cd'd to this.

Using John Drinkwater's tutorial for building on Linux I did the following:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/haiku/buildtools/trunk buildtools

cd  buildtools/jam
make

At this point I got an error, as I didn't gave cc. I just symlinked cc
to gcc for now, I am not too sure if thats the best way but re-running
make worked this time.

sudo ./jam0 install

This created /usr/local/... directories, these don't exist normally on
Solaris, so I had to add these to my path and continue - again, on
Solaris this might not be the best way.

mccall@neo:~/haiku/haiku> jam -v
Jam 2.5-haiku-20060813. OS=SOLARIS. Copyright 1993-2002 Christopher Seiwald.

I went back to my haiku directory and checked out haiku itself.

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/haiku/haiku/trunk haiku

Cd'd to the new haiku source code and tried to build the build tools:

mccall@neo:~/haiku/haiku> ./configure --build-cross-tools-gcc4 x86 ../buildtools
./configure: syntax error at line 175: `(' unexpected

...and get my first error :)

Just to make sure its not because of the newer build tools, I tried to
use the older ones:

mccall@neo:~/haiku/haiku> ./configure --build-cross-tools ../buildtools/
./configure: syntax error at line 175: `(' unexpected

Same error.

Line 175 of configure is:

local oldPwd=$(pwd)

Anyone have any ideas?

I am documenting everything as I go, so if I get a sucessful build I
will write an tutorial for Haiku-OS.org.