[openbeos] Re: Building

  • From: DELHAISE Thierry <delhaise.t@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 31 Oct 2002 18:09:14 +0100

Hi,

First of all, take in mind that most of the project people build
OpenBeOS on BeOS : the main reason is that the gcc and ld used to build
this kernel use some specific stuff only implement in the gcc version
for BeOS.

So, if you're starting on this and don't have a good knowledge of kernel
code, makefiles, jamfiles, start under BeOS.

If you have some more knowledge I can start by telling you to take a
look at BeBuild.h header. You will discover in this header that all the
project build if you have __INTEL__ define. This define is a default
under the gcc version of BeOS not for all other gcc.

For example, for me, I allways use two build systems : a BeOS one and
Linux one. Under BeOS I use the standart gcc tree. Under Linux I use gcc
3.0.4.

In this last environment, I had to define manually __INTEL__. To adjust
this take a look at Jamrules files in the main directory of the source
tree and search for something like KERNEL_CFLAGS where you will just
have to define -D__INTEL__. You can use some more treaks but I found
this one the most convenient for cross-platform developpement.

Other, when you define __INTEL__ you will define some EXPORT_XX flags
which point out on some declspec(dllimport) or declspec(dllexport).
Those declaration are only understandable by the BeOS gcc. You're xBSD
or Linux one will never accept those syntaxes. Those syntaxes are only
valid for PE target (Windows NT executables).So, to solve the problem,
only touch BeBuild.h and define those IMPORT_XXX flags with nothing
behind : delete declspec(dllimport) or declspec(dllexport) and you will
solve the problem.

I don't pretend, it will solve all of your building problems but I think
this a starting point. If you want to work on kernel, you will have to
make some efforts :

help you, and the kernel team will help you ;-)

Good Luck and Welcome

Thierry (BeFree)