[openbeos] Re: Bugzill (part II)

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 15:01:14 -0400

>>We are looking into other web hosting solutions. Nothing is definite or
>>even probable, at the moment. But Bugzilla was something that we
>>were seriously thinking about...
>
>Check Complexero, they are pretty decent, and would likely give you a
>pretty good deal.  beunited.org, while not a free account because we use
>a lot of resources, gets a pretty sizable discount, and Michael Weck is
>always willing to help out with anything we have asked for (multihoming,
>extra dns entries, etc).

Part of the debate is if we want to run our own server or not.
That would be nice, in terms of being able to do our own things
(mailing lists, BeShare, etc).

OTOH, it is a lot more expensive. It would be nice just to get a T1 to my
house. Then we are good to go. ;-)

>On another sort of related note - beunited.org, as a non-profit
>organization could acquire Perforce for free (well, anyone that has an
>open source project could).  Have any of you used Perforce?  I know Be,
>Inc. did back in the day.  What are the pro's and con's of Perforce over
>CVS?  Would you all think that this is a valuable resource for open
>source projects for the OSBOS platforms, or maybe even some of the
>platforms themselves?  Is this something beunited.org should host on our
>code.beunited.org server for folks to insert their open source projects
>into (a la Sourceforge-like)?  Or should we just leave it CVS?  Or both
>maybe?  Would like some comments for consideration on this.  :)

I looked at Perforce's comparison page...
http://www.perforce.com/perforce/cvs.html

Honestly, I see little benefit for what OBOS is doing to switch.
Yes, they are both free. Yes, Perforce is better at a few things.
But most of what Perforce is better at, we don't use and don't care about.
And it's speed benefit means nothing to most of us, as the internet is the slow
part of the checkin/out.

>And don't forget newsletter articles for this coming week!  ;)

Yes!