[openbeos] Re: Brief introduction

  • From: Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:51:06 +0000

Hi Alex,

> From: Alex Harvey <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2007/02/23 Fri PM 08:58:25 GMT
> To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [openbeos] Brief introduction
>
> Hello to all the list members
>
> I can program in C, C++, Pascal, C#, VB.Net, PHP, Perl, ASM(hc11,
> hc12). I do feel more comfortable in C, then in C++, due to spending
> more time in C. Please don't make me use my assembly skills.. I
> refuse to drop down to assembly unless I absolute must.
>
> I was a beos user between version 4.5 and 5. Stop using it after
> changing to unsupported hardware.
>
> My skills and time are at the services of Haiku, I would like to get
> my feet wet in programming for Haiku. Not sure where my skills can be
> best used. I do have a strong technical background.

Haiku is a large project, so there is pretty much something for everyone.
There's a few different approaches you can take - look through the bugs listed
on the website and have a crack at a few, or just take a closer look at any of
the kits that interests you, and look at implementing some of the TODOs there.

It's unlikely anyone will just give you a job to do, but maybe if you are a
little more specific about the areas you're interested in someone can point you
to some useful tasks you could do.

> Have the current svn version of haiku compiling and setup for testing
> in it.

That's definitely a good start!

> Alex  Harvey

Simon