[openbeos] Re: Booting Haiku (was Haiku hdimage)

  • From: mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 08:21:51 -0700

For WalterCon I used my little VIA M-10000 motherboard to demo the state
of the code. I had a 6 gig 5200 rpm IDE hard drive.

Overall boot time was in the neighborhood of 15 seconds. I was able to
run a number of the apps both from our source tree and from BeOS Max. It
is *not* stable at all; many apps cause it to crash. The machine just
sitting with the about box running ran for 1 hour 54 minutes, then
crashed. I did not try any R5 drivers.

I have to say, though, that everyone at WC2k5 was pretty impressed. I
was able to show OpenTracker and Open Deskbar running on a 100% Haiku
bootup in a semi-stable state. It looked very nice - the new font
rendering is gorgeous. The system didn't seem slow at all, even running
in VESA. The via graphics driver immediately crashed the app_server - I
wasn't able to look into why.