[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku PPC

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 21:17:14 +0100 CET

Matt Emson <memsom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The other point - the Beige and B&W G3's have
> Apple style serial ports, so serial debugging
> will be a LOT more simple to implement. Debugging
> kernel issues with serial would be a whole lot
> simpler, surely?

FWIW the B&W G3 PSU can be swapped for an ATX PSU
with a few simple modifications to an ATX extension
cable and I'm guessing the ATI Rage cards (common
with B&W G3s, IIRC) should be easier to support than
more recent graphics cards.

But I wonder if it isn't smarter, at this stage,
to use a Pegasos, Efika or Sam440 board.

Anything which is reasonably modern, documented, has
serial ports, comes in a standard form-factor (or in
a decent case) and takes current/recent RAM and
peripherals.

The Sam440 has U-boot. (not OpenFirmware)
http://www.sam440.com/

/Jonas.