[openbeos] Re: Booting Haiku

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:12:10 +0200 CEST

Philip Harrison <haikutime@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/1/05, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Philip Harrison <haikutime@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > How are you guys booting into Haiku?  All I get is the "Welcome
> > > the Haiku Boot Loader".  It also says "<No Boot volume found>".
> > >
> > > What I'm doing is:
> > > ./configure --target=haiku
> > > makehdimage /haiku
> > Where is this /haiku partition located exactly?
> It is the second partition on the same drive.
> I've got an 8GB drive.  The first partition is 6.5GB for BeOS 5.0.3.
> The second partition is 1.4 GB for haiku.

There doesn't seem to be a reason why it shouldn't work; try calling
"makebootable" again on the target partition. Maybe the partition
offset is messed up (although I currently can't remember if that
actually matters if there is only one Haiku partition).
Have you had a look at the volume menu in the boot loader?

> > What system do you have?
> AMD K6-2 400 MHz
> SOYO Motherboard, I believe it has a Via chipset.
> ATI Rage 128
> Realtek 8139

I am not sure about the graphics, but the rest should be supported :)

> > What compiler did you use?
> Oliver Tappe's gcc-2.95.3-beos-041025
> Should I be using Oliver Tappe's gcc-3.4.3?
> ld and jam off the haiku website.

You don't need to update "ld" when you're using GCC 2.95.3. The rest
looks good, I think :)
And yes, Oliver's compiler is the recommended one - other compilers
might not be able to compile our tree correctly.

Bye,
   Axel.