[openbeos] Re: Boot time benchmark Vmware vs. Parallels

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:12:55 -0500

Hi,

I've tested out Q for OS X, v0.8.2d52: http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

As far as I know this version doesn't yet take advantage of Intel virtualization like Parallels and Vmware do.

Anyways, it stacked up pretty well against Parallels, with an avg. boot time of 22 seconds!

I'm not sure this is the best measure for benchmarking/performance though (maybe someone has a better idea or set of tools I could use). I've noticed with other operating systems, Qemu is very fast at booting, but lags in drawing frames and windows, and processing heavy tasks. So even though Q boots faster than Parallels, it feels much more sluggish than Parallels.

Karl

From: "Gustavo grieco" <gustavo.grieco@xxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: Boot time benchmark Vmware vs. Parallels
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:47:08 -0300

Haiku isnt working with kQEMU (at least, in kernel mode in Linux)

2006/12/13, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>:

On 12/13/06, Ben Allen <ben.allen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Ryan Leavengood < leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On 12/13/06, Karl vom Dorff <haikubounties@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > There seems to be quite a difference in performance, with Vmware
booting
> > > nearly 3x as fast, and as I mentioned before, it generally feels much
> > > snappier than emulation in Parallels.
> >
> > Would it be possible to add QEMU to that round-up? It seems MUCH, MUCH
> > slower in my testing, which is too bad since it is the main
> > open-source offering in virtual machines...
> >
> > Of course it could just be the BeOS version which is so slow...
> >
> > Ryan
> >

> I haven't done any timing measurements, but the Windows version of QEMU
was much slower than Vmware for me (I'd estimate that it was about as
relatively slow as Karl reported Parallels to be).  Of course, don't even
get me started on Bochs.....

> -Ben

Don't forget to try kQEMU also - it does make a huge difference on Windows
for me - unfortunately it's not open source :(  But it's still not as fast
as VMWare.

Not only does WindowsOff to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to find out how to sign up! Live? OneCare? provide all-in-one PC care to keep your computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating backup files a breeze. Try it today! http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/