[openbeos] Re: Boot failure with Quad-core

  • From: "Larry Baydak" <lbaydak@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:37:04 -0500 EST

"Niklas Nisbeth" <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

> Forking ell. You'll have a hardtime maxing out ONE of those cores,
> let
> alone four... Considering the reports I've heard of how those 4x200
> MHz PPC 604e Mac clone towers (DayStars? Those bloody massive ones,
> bigger than the 9500s) run R5. Ah well, I suspect we'll find some way
> to deal with that "issue" soon enough...
>
> I almost posted a long "when I was a lad"-rant here, but I'll space
> you...
>
> (No, sorry, can't help - except: is it a 64 bit thing?)

No. Don't  think so. The  Core 2 Duo is a proper 32-bit chip.

But its also a  proper 64-bit chip. With the capability to run the  AMD
64-bit  instruction set.

All of that aside.  I have  had some  successfull and partial successes
with  BeOS and  Zeta.

BeOS:   I have  (almost) managed to boot  BeOS 5.00 on this machine.
I boot from the official BeOS CD.  It hangs at the  'monitor'  icon.
In 'Safe Mode' it gets as far as  putting up the license. But the mouse
and keyboard are frozen.

Zeta 1.2:  I  tried  booting with a  'Zeta 1.2 live CD'  (one of those
demo disks).
It booted perfectly fine.  The few apps that I tried seemed to work.