[haiku] Re: Boot Screen Disappears

  • From: Dennis <fraggle.rok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:41:41 -0400

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 03.09.2010 15:21, schrieb Dennis:
>
>  I am successfully using Alpha2 image on a Shuttle XPC computer.
>>
>> One minor problem:  the boot screen doesn't display but the Haiku
>> Desktop works great.
>>
>> I am not using the on-board VGA but have a card (NVidia something, I'll
>> need to check)
>>
>> Here's what happens:
>> - I hit the power button
>> - BIOS screens show
>> - the monitor goes to power save mode
>> - the monitor comes back up
>> - the Haiku Desktop displays
>> - elapsed time like 15 seconds or something crazy-fast like that (power
>> down is about 5 seconds!)
>>
>> How can I trouble-shoot this?  Is there a log file that might shed some
>> light as to what's going on.
>>

> Is your NVidia card actually supported by the NVidia driver? If yes, then
> it could report VESA modes that our boot loader does not want to work with.
> If no, it probably means that the boot loader picks a mode that is
> unsupported by your monitor.
>
> Best regards,
> -Stephan

I looked at listdev output.  I shows device Display Controller
vendor 10de: nVidia Corporation
device 0322: NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]

I have a LG L1710S Flatron 17" monitor - and I am connecting via VGA cable

   - *Max Resolution* 1280 x 1024 / 75.0 Hz
   - *Max Sync Rate (V x H)* 75.0 Hz x 80.0 KHz

The Screen preferences gives me 5 choices
640x480
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024 (and this is the one that comes up)

The forums yielded the trick of hitting the space bar to see the boot
options.  Manually picking the boot loader Video Mode:
640x480 32bit  works - I see the boot loader icons
800x600 32bit  works - I see the boot loader icons
1024x768 32bit works - I see the boot loader icons
1152x864 not in list
1280x1024 32bit did not work

In this thread
http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/boot_loader
I found this link
http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/vesa_file_fixing_boot_problem

The vesa file was 'mode 1280 1024 32'.  I manually edited the vesa file to
'mode 800 600 32' and rebooted, voila I see the boot screen and the Haiku
desktop comes up still in max resolution 1280x1024.  I also changed the vesa
file to 'mode 1024 768 32' and this works as well (I am leaving it there)

Any ideas why that max resolution which works for the Haiku desktop doesn't
seem to work for the vesa-mode boot loader?

Thanks
Dennis