[openbeos] Re: Binutils-2.17 available

  • From: "Brian Verre" <bverre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:52:15 -0600

>I've already downloaded the gcc 4.1.2 sources and will update the
>version in our repository as soon as I can gather enough motivation
>to do it. I don't really see the advantage of updating to 4.0.4 only.

Sounds great, I wasn't sure if there was a more conservative approach
in play (thus the 4.0.4 suggestion). Over the years people seem to avoid

the lastest two GCC releases. I see Gentoo is using 4.1.x now...

>> It would seem to me that that the consistancy across haiku GCC
>> branches would help debugging, and keep haiku ontrack for GCC 4.x
>> compatibility down the road.
>>
>> Who is actively building haiku with GCC4 and patching/rewriting
>> incompatible code?

>I usually build a gcc4 haiku image every few weeks, and I believe
others
>do that more often. There's isn't really much work involved in keeping
>the image building with gcc4. Incompatibilities mainly arise from C++
code
>using STL features, obsolete headers, or missing the std namespace. The
>required changes are usually very small.
>CU, Ingo

Thanks for the update! Since I can't get Haiku to build under Cygwin or
MinGW
(hi Urias!) I haven't been building images. GCC4 compatibility is rarely
discussed on this list, so I appreciate the info. Glad to hear its
working!

Happy hacking,
Brian