[openbeos] Bikeshed alert (was: Re: VLC)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:50:35 +0100 CET

While it's fascinating how everyone, me included, has an opinion on the
design of visual aspects of Haiku, not every opinion is truly useful
and discussion doesn't help much. Here's a little something from the
FreeBSD FAQ:

"Why should I care what color the bikeshed is?"
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/book.html#BIKESHED-PAINTING

Ideally, Haiku should have an art director, or a design team, (Do we?),
that would act independently, producing concepts and prototypes that
could be presented and voted on if necessary. Now, since we're all
pretty much individualists (I mean, we're the lunatic fringe, still
here long after Jean-Louis Gassée's nipples stopped speaking to him),
perhaps we all think we could fill the A.D. position. I seriously doubt
that. There's much much more to it than creating a little bitmap for
the Deskbar menu. Especially for R2.

We should be thankful that we have at least one coder, Stephan Aßmus,
who is also an artist, AFAIK. My deepest apologies to anyone else who's
contributed, of which I'm unaware. :I

The primary thing is too keep the visual design and user experience of
Haiku coherent and consistent. One long-overdue task (afaik) is
creating a new icon set which isn't copyright Palm, or whoever, that is
*complete* for the Haiku standard distro. We don't want to be mistaken
for yet another GNU distro (glass/bluecurve?), and we don't want mixed
sets of wildly different icons.

I've created/stolen/mutilated a few icons myself. I think it's hard
even when you borrow parts. (The BePDF app and filetype icons are my
claim to fame, and I nicked that bee somewhere.)

Anyway, I'm exceptionally late for work, so I'd better cut this off
right here. :]

/Jonas Sundström.                  www.kirilla.com