[openbeos] Best new hardware for BeOS

  • From: "Magnus Hellman" <magnush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:07:39 EST

Hi everyone,
I'm about to upgrade my trusty 2x450 MHz PII machine and I want something that
will continue to run my BeOS R5 system.

I'm only going to buy a new motherboard, an Intel CPU, and 1GB of RAM.  I will
be using my existing hard disk and Matrox G200 video card (I'm not fussed about
sound if it doesn't work, not yet anyway).

I don't think I can afford a Core 2 Duo so I'm leaning towards an Intel Pentium
D.  Maybe I can afford the cheapest Core 2 Duo - is it a good buy?

If you like, can you pick something that will support BeOS from these pages:
CPU: <http://adelong.com.au/Products_Dec_2001/processors.htm>
Motherboard: <http://adelong.com.au/Products_Dec_2001/mainboards.htm>
RAM: <http://adelong.com.au/Products_Dec_2001/memory.htm>
Prices are in Australian dollars.

I know this doesn't really relate to Haiku, so sorry about that, but I've been
lurking for ages on this list (though under a different email, which for some
reason ecartis doesn't recognise when I try posting to the list - it's
openbeos.magnum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and it's the most active BeOS-related list or
forum I know about.  All of the hardware compatibility charts I could find are
really old, even YellowTab's.

I don't need anything spectacular, and I'm on a pretty tight budget, but I need
something NOW because I've started a new job from home and desperately need a
modern PC (I'll probably be able to do a proper upgrade and splash out a bit
more in 6 months or so).  But I really want to keep running BeOS.

Anyone want to give me some advice? ;-)