[openbeos] Re: BeUIG, inconsistencies

  • From: "Mikael Jansson" <tic_khr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:20:46 GMT

"Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "Mikael Jansson" <tic_khr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I don't like the idea of a UNIX sandbox too much - we have lots
> > > of
> > > tools that I would consider as standard on BeOS. I would prefer
> > > them
> > > be properly ported to fit into the Be folder hierarchy.
> > Yes, that'd be the best solution.  But, as people tend to be lazy
> > and
> > do mostly configure-make-ports, they tend not to become very BeOS-
> > ish,
> > and as such, polluting the BeOS folder name space.
> >
> > Like previously discussed, the /etc folder isn't really neccessary,
> > and
> > ~/config/etc is also not very good.
> >
> > As for myself, I'm very anal about it, and hate when even the
> > standard
> > GnuUtils package-provided apps create dot files in my home
> > directory,
> > they should live under ~/config/settings/gnu/<app> as whatever they
> > want to call it.  I'm sure if one comes up with a more-or-less
> > universal for patching source to place their settings in a sane
> > location (i.e., ~/config/settings/...), people would start using
> > that
> > when porting apps, instead of blindly setting prefix=~/config
>
> Well, if we create such a solution, people will probably start using
> it
> - instead of properly porting their apps.

Still though, what is a properly ported app? Adding a BeOS GUI to it?
That's not always the case.

Most often a clean port is just to respect the limits and the design of
the new operating system.  In this case, it's BeOS with an actual
location for settings, as opposed to cluttering $HOME.

This is a good candidate for the "Porting Applications To BeOS" chapter
in the UIG...

--
Mikael Jansson
http://mikael.jansson.be